Monday 3 March 2014

An Interview with Vaiana

Hi guys,

What’s up? Today I’m here to talk about an interview that I had with my new classmate, Vaiana. The interview was about her language learning habits and I learned some cool things about her!

First of all, Vaiana is a kiwi! Yes, she is a New Zealander, are you surprised? Me too. She told me she was born and lived in New Zealand for three years, then she moved to New Caledonia, where she has been living since then, as a result she isn't fluent in English. Now she has come back to learn English in her birth city, Auckland.

She started learning English in intermediate school, which is called middle school in her country. She said she was motivated to learn English because it's her native language and she couldn't learn before. Her learning style is the Doodler (visual). She can record new words with images or pictures. The most interesting thing about this is because I asked her how she remembered new vocabulary and she told me she had the images and pictures in her mind, so it came from her memory and she could remember the new words. It’s awesome!

Talking about what she thinks that she needs work more on, she said she should practice more speaking and writing and she wanted to do this every day. She always reviews her work from class when she doesn't understand something. She also likes practice listening and reading while she’s watching movies with subtitles. She said she was a little bit nervous about making mistakes, but today was her first class, so I told her that it was normal and I make mistakes every day since I've been here, but I don't give up. So, I’m glad to meet her! 
Vaiana, welcome to our class!

No comments:

Post a Comment